How to Select a Roofing Contractor
We believe the best roofing contractors in Chicagoland and beyond are at the CRCA Member List. Regardless of who you choose for installing a roof, choose a contractor wisely. The Characteristics that are important in any service
industry selection also hold true with a Roofing, Air Barrier, Waterproofing
and Dampproofing Contractor.
Important things to consider are:
- Is Roofing and Waterproofing/Dampproofing the contractors’
primary business? Does the firm have experience installing
the particular materials on the project?
- Does the Contractor have an educated workforce?
- Is the Contractor Licensed by the State of IL? Is it a Limited License (residential, less than 8 units) or unlimited (residential, all sizes, plus all other buildng occupancy types) and Bonded?
- Does the Contractor belong to the local (CRCA),
regional (MRCA) and national (NRCA) trade associations?
These associations provide educational opportunities
for employees and workers in many topics.
- Insurance protection is important to you, the purchaser.
Does the Contractor have adequate Workers Compensation,
Finished Products and General and Professional Liability Insurance? Are insurance policies compliant with State and Local ordinances? Ask for the certificates
of insurance and review the coverage and effective
dates for the contractor and any of their subcontractors.
- Have you seen a reference project listing of similar
- Did the contractor provide a written proposal? Was the Illinois Roofing License on the Proposal?
- Have you verified the contractors physical address, Tax
I.D. number, phone and fax numbers?
- What kind of Quality and Safety Programs does the
firm have in place to protect you and their employees?
Do they have any certifications? Is their safety record
better than the national average consistently? (click
here for information about Safety)
- Who will supervise the work?
- Does t he company insurance policy reference Workers Compensation Insurance based on classification #5550 as a Roofing Contractor? Is the General Liability and Professional Liability Policy covering the company as a Roofing Contractor with finished product a functioning roof that doesn't leak?
The questions above for evaluation of a contractor
are not exhaustive. Be sure to review bids for work
carefully, focusing not just on price, but also on quality
and qualifications to perform the scope of work on the
particular Roofing, Waterproofing or Dampproofing project.
Select the best. Select a CRCA
Roofing, Waterproofing and Dampproofing Contractor
References: National Roofing
Contractors Association, Rosemont, IL and the Chicago Roofing Contractors Association, Hillside, IL ;